Republic Day: India is getting ready for a magnificent parade on Kartavya Path in the center of the nation’s capital today to commemorate its 75th Republic Day, which will feature a stunning demonstration of military prowess and a vivid cultural tapestry. The celebration’s main guest will be French President Emmanuel Macron, and it will have a “Nari Shakti” theme.
Today, January 26, 2024, India will celebrate its 75th Republic Day, a momentous milestone. The nation’s capital will host a grand parade on Kartavya Path to highlight India’s military supremacy and cultural diversity, with a focus on Nari Shakti, or women’s empowerment.
Accompanying Indian President Droupadi Murmu as the chief guest, French President Emmanuel Macron will preside over the celebrations.
What you need to know about India’s 75th Republic Day celebrations is as follows:
- For the first time, the parade will feature an all-women tri-services contingent. The Indian Air Force’s fly-past will feature fifteen women pilots. The Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) contingents will likewise be all-female.
- For the first time, over 100 women artists will lead the march, playing Indian musical instruments such as Sankh, Naadswaram, and Nagada in place of regular military bands.
- India’s armed forces will display indigenous military gear, including as missiles, drone jammers, surveillance systems, vehicle-mounted mortars, and BMP-II infantry fighting vehicles.
- The ceremony will begin with Prime Minister Narendra Modi paying his respects at the National War Memorial. President Murmu, followed by President Macron, will then salute at the parade, which is scheduled to begin at 10:30 a.m.
- The parade will feature a combined band and marching contingent from the French Armed Forces, representing India and France’s strong bilateral ties.
- Sixteen tableaux from various states and Union territories, as well as nine from central ministries and departments, will be shown along Kartavya Path, representing India’s rich cultural tapestry. These tableaus will also emphasize the topic of “women’s empowerment”.
- More than 70,000 security personnel have been deployed throughout New Delhi to ensure the event’s safety. Traffic warnings and limits are in place to ensure that vehicles move smoothly during the celebrations.
- An estimated 77,000 people are scheduled to watch the parade at Kartavya Path, with strict security precautions in place, including commando deployments and anti-sabotage checks to ensure their safety.
- President Murmu and her French counterpart Macron will arrive at Kartavya Path in a ‘traditional buggy’, a habit that is making a comeback after a 40-year absence.
- Traffic movement along Kartavya Path, from Vijay Chowk to India Gate, has been prohibited since 6 pm on Thursday. These restrictions will remain in place until the conclusion of the parade.